This is a traditional Cretan village inhabited by locals, and several varied other nationalities. It has 7 cafenions, one of which at least will provide simple traditonal meals on request. There is also a very small minimarket.It has many outstanding sea views and a Belgiun couple have built an observatory there which is freely open to anyone to use. It is 5 kms inland from Makrigialos the beach and all amenities. The old name for this village was Gras. On the hill nearby is a Castelos – a ruined Venetian castle which seems to have been built on the ruins of an acropolis of the Geometric times. Not far away there is the traditional, nowadays deserted, settlement of Aori. It is the birthplace of Anagnostis Papdakis the leader of the 1866 revolution and his son Emmanuel Fountalidis who was a leading politician in Sitia in 1897.
Several different nationalities have bought houses there and live in harmony with the welcoming locals. The relatively new young mayor of the area has organised for the streets to be paved so that the village is looking very pretty.